Are Bananas Good for Dogs?
If you own a pet, then several questions regarding what fruits and vegetables you should be feeding your pet might have crossed your mind.
Some people are concerned about whether they should feed their dog bananas or not. The answer is yes. Here are some of the reason stating why it is beneficial for your dogs:
- The bananas are an excellent nutritional food for dogs. Even some of the veterinarians recommend people to feed their gods bananas.
- Bananas are also rich in fiber, which will help your dog to prevent or treat any kind of gastrointestinal problem.
- Bananas also contain magnesium, which promotes the growth of bones. It also helps in the proper absorption of vitamins.
The one thing that pet owners should remember is that the bananas should be fed to the dogs in a moderate amount as they have a high content of sugar in it.
Other constituents like potassium, vitamin C, and vitamin B6 also provide nutritional value to your pet.
Health Benefits of Bananas
An occasional serving of bananas to your dog never hurts but provides them many benefits, such as:
- As bananas contain potassium, vitamin B6, vitamin C, and magnesium, they contribute a lot to the dog’s health.
- The magnesium in bananas promotes the growth of bones and also enables a dog to absorb other vitamins properly.
- As bananas are also rich in fiber, they will also keep their gastrointestinal health in order.
- Bananas also replenish electrolytes, act as a low fiber diet for your dog, and ameliorate their skin health, too.
When Are Bananas Bad for Dogs?
Feeding your dog anything in excess will have a harmful effect on them, and it is no different for bananas. Bananas should only be served to a dog occasionally as they are quite high in sugar content.
The cases of constipation in dogs have also been seen when bananas are given to them on a regular basis.
Many people have the misconception that bananas will help their dog in preventing any kind of constipation problem if given regularly. However, doing so only contributes to the problem of constipation rather than helping them.
Diarrhea is also one of a condition that could occur to your dog if bananas are given to them in excess. This is totally contradictory to the fact that bananas cause constipation.
However, bananas contain insoluble fiber, which can make a dog’s stool to loosen up that will lead to diarrhea.
The best way to treat your dog with a banana is to serve them in moderation. Always remember that most of their calories should come from their daily dog food instead of the bananas.
This will ensure that they do not gain any weight.
Side Effects of Bananas for Dogs
Banana is a fruit with a lot of health benefits to humans as well as dogs. However, moderation of everything is necessary in order to reap benefits out of it.
If you keep feeding your dog bananas on a daily basis, then they will have to face a lot of side effects because of it. Some of the side effects, your dog might have to go through are:
- As bananas have sugar in it, it will start to decay your dog’s teeth if given in excess. We, humans, do have a habit of brushing our teeth every morning; this makes us able to consume food with high sugar content in it. The same does not go for a dog. No matter you brush your dog’s teeth every day, you should not feed bananas to them on a daily basis.
- The regular dosage of bananas will lead your dog to the problem of constipation. This occurs because of the presence of fiber in bananas, which soaks up all the water making their stool hard. It is also quite difficult for a dog to be able to digest bananas.
- Bananas also contain a lot of amino acids in them. These amino acids dilate the blood vessels and give your dog a headache. Now, it’s impossible for you to communicate with your dog and ask them if they are experiencing a headache. However, with the change in their behavior such as energy loss, etc. it can be assumed that they are experiencing a headache.
Can Dogs Be Allergic to Bananas?
Bananas are beneficial to both humans as well as dogs. However, in some dogs, bananas might cause an allergy. Some dogs could be allergic to bananas.
There is no other way of knowing this than to feed that food to your dog and observe his behavior afterward.
If you notice one or more symptoms, which include skin itching, skin inflammation, ear infection, redness in the rear part, depression, vomiting, diarrhea, etc. then it is highly likely that your dog is experiencing an allergy from the food that you have given him.
Consult a veterinarian on noticing any of these symptoms. You are also required to avoid giving that particular fruit or vegetable to your dog in the future.
Sometimes, a dog experiences difficulty in breathing in an allergic response to a fruit given to him. In such a case, a dog is kept in an oxygen case by a veterinarian.
An injection of antihistamine will also be given to him in case of swelling. For itchy skin, a bath with a mild shampoo is recommended.
Can Dogs Eat Banana Peels?
It is not advisable to feed bananas peels to the dogs. Peels are hard to digest and might cause a blockage. Even feeding them a lot of bananas can give them stomach problems.
If you still were to feed peels to them, you can chop it up into smaller pieces so that your dog can digest them easily. It is also not a good idea to feed a whole banana to a dog in one go.
Bananas contain a lot of sugar in them. It might prove to be responsible for their weight gain, which will cause all kinds of health problems at later stages.
Therefore, a few slices of banana once in a week should be sufficient for a smaller pup. For a larger dog, you can feed them with bananas thrice a week.
Moderation is the key factor if you want to benefit the health of your dog while letting them take the nutritional value out of a banana.
Can Dogs Eat Banana Chips?
Yes, dogs can eat banana chips. In fact, banana chips act as an energy booster low-calorie diet. They are a good source of magnesium, fiber, potassium, and various other vitamins.
It will also make sure that your dog will be able to digest other vitamins properly. It will also provide them with omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, which prevents any kind of heart disease along with providing them great health, good skin, etc.
As banana chips are made by frying into oil, therefore it is also not considered a good idea to feed your dog in larger quantities.
Many pet owners only stick with the raw fruit so to avoid any extra fats. But it will not hurt to give them a few chips once in a while.
Can Dogs Eat Banana Bread?
Dogs love to eat banana bread. It is like a cake for them. In order to make banana bread, bananas are squashed, and some extra sugar has to be added.
Therefore, it should be given to a pet dog in moderation. Banana Bread has low nutritional value, so it is much better to feed bananas to them rather than in the form of bread.
However, feeding them occasionally with this delicious recipe won’t hurt them.
If you observe any kind of allergic symptoms in your dog after feeding them bananas, then consult a veterinarian immediately and refrain from feeding bananas to them any further.
How to Feed Bananas to Your Dog?
Before giving your pet any fruit, you need to consult a veterinarian about it. A veterinarian will help you to know how much bananas you can feed to your dog, on the basis of their dietary needs and weight.
This goes different from dog to dog depending on their breed and weight, etc. You can feed your dogs bananas in various ways like:
- If it’s a hot day, then nothing could be a refreshing meal than some frozen slices of bananas.
- Mashing the bananas and mixing it well in their regular food will also make a great meal. This will make them fall in love with their regular meal because of the entire sugary flavor in it.
How Much Banana Can a Dog Eat?
This depends on the dietary intake and weight of your dog. This also varies from dog to dog on the basis of their breed.
The best way to know the limit is to consult your veterinarian about it. Usually, for small dogs, it is advisable that only a few small pieces should be fed to them.
However, for medium or larger dogs, half a banana can be fed to them every once in a while.
How Often Can Dogs Eat Bananas?
When feeding bananas to your pet dog, you have to understand that moderation is the key. You need to provide the nutritional value along with keeping them in good health.
Bananas have a lot of sugar content in it. Therefore, it is essential that you must know how many times you should be feeding them. It is quite simple that you should be giving a small puppy some slices of banana only once in a week.
However, for medium to large dogs, you can give them half a banana for about three times a week.
What Should I Do If My Dog Overeats Bananas?
When your dog had bananas in excess, then you are required to monitor them carefully. If they would face an allergy, the symptoms will be panting, shaking their head for too long, itching, redness on the rear part, difficulty in breathing, dilated pupils, etc.
On noticing any of these symptoms, you are required to take them to a veterinarian immediately. A veterinarian will examine your dog deeply and might even put him into an oxygen case if necessary.
A shot of antihistamine will also be given to the dog if any kind of swelling is seen. It is always a good decision to be cautious before handed, so such problems do not arise.
DIY Banana Dog Treats Recipe
With only certain limited ingredients, you can make something delicious for your dog and make them feel special.
The DIY banana recipes for dogs are quite simple. These recipes do not require anything more than what’s already in your kitchen.
- With peanut butter, coconut oil, and bananas, you can make them a tasty frozen treat. These are the three ingredients are all you need to feed your dog on a hot summer day. This also works great if your dog has wheat or grain sensitivity, as no dairy product has been used here.
- In case your dog isn’t sensitive to wheat or grain, then you can also consider a treat of sweet potatoes and bananas. Dogs usually have a sweet tooth, and this recipe right here is a perfect match for such pups.
Alternatives to Bananas for Dogs
It is not always the case that every dog would love bananas. In such a case, there are various alternatives you can consider that your dog might like, and they also have nutritional value to it.
Apples, strawberries, pineapples, celery, carrots, cucumber, etc. are some of the fruits that your dog might love to eat.
They are also enriched in vitamins and minerals that would be beneficial for your dog’s health. Although, it’s always a good idea to consider these fruits to your veterinarian before giving them to your dog.
After you feed your dog with any of these fruits, try to observe their behavior afterward.
If you feel like they are having any kind of problem, then rush to a veterinarian immediately.
FAQ About Bananas for Dogs
Learn More With the Help of Video